Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Do It!

I was reading in the Doctrine and Covenants today, and a scripture struck me.

It was in section 24, verse 18: “And thou shalt take no purse nor scrip, neither staves, neither two coats, for the church shall give unto thee in the very hour what thou needest for food and for raiment, and for shoes and for money, and for scrip.”

Here the Lord was talking to Joseph and especially to Oliver, and he’s telling them how to do their missionary treks. In fact, in this particular section, he’s also telling them that they need to go into temporary seclusion because of the persecution of the saints.

So, this verse has that specific, historical application.

But Nephi says we’re supposed to “Liken the scriptures unto ourselves.” So I was thinking how this applied to me.

And it’s talking about faith.

I mean, sometimes in life it’s important to plan and prepare and to know what’s happening every step of the way. To have it all spelled out and worked out.

And at other times, it’s necessary to fly blind. To just do it, and to trust the Lord to provide what you’ll need as you go.

But that’s scary.

I’m sure that Nephi, when we went back into Jerusalem, was nervous. “And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.” (1 Ne 4:6)

There are lots of aspects of my life that are running this way. I’m not sure where my work will lead me. I don’t know how to be a good parent. I don’t even know how a song will turn out when I start it.

But sometimes ya just gotta do it.


MRKH
Mark Hansen
http://markhansenmusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails