Tuesday, July 27, 2004

 
Politics, Again...
 
Why does everyone assume that since I’m a Mormon that I’m also a Republican? 

I don’t really consider myself to be a Democrat, either, but I’m definitely NOT a Republican, and I’m definitely NOT voting for Bush.

Frankly, I’m not sure who I’m going to be voting for.

But some people talk to me about issues like the war, and so on, and they talk like they’re assuming I agree with them.  And they go on with their views, and they don’t ever pause to consider that I’m not buying it.

Maybe it’s the fact that I let them.  I don’t like arguing politics.  I LOVE watching politics.  But I don’t like to argue about it.

I like the strategies, the posturing, the speeches, the conventions.  But I don’t buy that either of them will really be able to accomplish all they promise.

But I digress. 

I’m not undecided, fundamentally.  I know what I believe, and I know where I stand.  I just can’t find anyone to vote for that represents me.  At least not as fully as I’d like.

I like the idea of a constitutional amendment defining marriage.  I don’t like the idea of deconstructing the family: Republican

I think the invasion of Iraq was one of the biggest foreign policy disasters of the last two decades.  I don’t think it had anything at all to do with preserving freedom (ours OR theirs):  Democrat

I think government should take a role in the support of its people:  Democrat

I think government should stay off the backs of business (especially small business):  Republican

I find it very interesting that, in spite of the label “tax and spend liberals”, the only administration to balance the federal budget in my life’s memory was Democratic.

I think abortion is the same as murder, and I also think that the solution to unwed parenting and STD epidemics isn’t made of rubber:  Republican

And so it goes, on and on.

I’m just disenfranchised.  Nobody to vote for. 


 *sigh*
 
MRKH
http://markhansenmusic.com

1 comment:

  1. but I’m definitely NOT a Republican, and I’m definitely NOT voting for Bush.

    Frankly, I’m not sure who I’m going to be voting for.
    If you're definitely NOT voting for Bush, then there aren't really that many other alternatives.

    But I hear you on feeling disenfranchised... I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails