Sunday, February 06, 2005

The Mouth of Babes, etc…

--Or--
More thoughts on Suffering


So, Brendon was up much of the night throwing up, and lots of diarrhea. Not fun. He’s been teetering on the edge of real sickness for several days now, and it all hit last night. I think he finally slept for good at around 1:00 AM.

But the interesting part of this story happened about 11:30 or so, in between bouts of nausea. He was in pretty good spirits, overall, in spite of being sick. At one point he said, “Dad, it’s good to be sick once in a while.”

You think so? I wondered where this was going to go.

“Yeah,” He was setting up to get philosophical, “Because how else would you enjoy it when you’re well.”

Then he dozed off for a few precious moments of sleep before it would overtake him and he’d have to get up and run to the bathroom again.

I was left thinking of Eve’s rejoicing in their knowledge of good and evil (Moses 5:11), and Father Lehi’s sermon on opposition (2 Nephi 2:11). I thought how cool it was that he’s picking up on this attitude so young. I mean, I don’t always face opposition with such a clear picture. I’m much more whiney about it. “Why is this happening to me? What did I do to deserve this…bla…bla…bla…” I think if I try to face it all like, “It’s good to be sick sometimes,” I’ll do much better in the long run.


MRKH
Mark Hansen
http://markhansenmusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails