Thursday, May 14, 2009

Here's a personal musical thing..

Remember way back when my Mom gave me her bass?

Well, it took me long enough, but I finally have my music studio in a place where I can keep it out of its case and ready to play. And so, this morning, I did.

I had stopped by a music store and bought this thin little book on scale studies. I opened it up to the first page, C Major, and started playing. I played the various rhythms with the bow, I practiced playing pizzicato (with and without a slapped backbeat), and really had a good time.

I was surprised by a couple of things.

One, I was surprised how much of my old 'cello technique has stayed with me all these years. I haven't played a cello in well over 20 years. But the bowing and the fingering is not that foreign to me. I was able to produce a reasonable tone. Cool.

Two, I was surprised (but not that much) how often I thought about Mom as I was playing. I can remember her dragging her bass out and practicing her symphony parts. I can still remember this one solo she used to play. I don't know the name and I can't quote the notes here. But if I heard it again, I would know it in an instant. I don't know if I'll ever be able to play it. It's pretty tricky.

But anyway. Here's to Mom, a little after Mother's Day!


MRKH
Mark Hansen
http://markhansenmusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails