Sunday, February 29, 2004

I saw "The Best Two Years" last night. Great show. Beautfully done.

It was very funny, but not a comedy. It was very spiritual, but not a seminary film. I recommend it. The best LDS film since Brigham City.

In fact, I think I even liked it better than "God's Army". It was certainly more true to MY missionary experience than GA was (not to be taken that I didn't think GA was representative of YOUR mission experience. But then, nobody died on my mission, and certainly none of my companions did).

But this movie once again proved the point of my previous point, though in a roundabout way.

This show was rated PG. There was no swearing. There was no violence (except for one scene where the elders blow off a little steam and wrestle a bit - certainly no blood). There was no nudity at all (of course - not even a scene of someone sitting on the throne).

Now, I'm not saying that it's for kids. I wouldn't take my young kids. Not because they would be exposed to anything wrong, but because they would be bored. There's nothing here to interest kids. It's a story of grownups interacting. I can just hear my six-year old saying, "Can we go home and watch Scooby-Doo?"

But it got a PG rating for "Thematic Material".

Hmmmm...

So, what material here needed "Parental Guidance"? Again, I feel like a lot of the LDS movies are being held to a higher standard by the ratings board.

Oh, well...

Maybe that's not entirely a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails