Friday, April 16, 2004

Faith and Death

I’ve been thinking a lot about Sister Hinkley.

For those that don’t know who I’m talking about, she’s the wife of current Prophet and President of the Church, Gordon B Hinkley.

And, really, it’s been more him I’ve been thinking of.

And I’ve been thinking about faith.

See, I would imagine that if anyone in the Church had faith, it would be him. He would have the clearest picture of anyone of the eternal plan and perspective that God has. So, it would, I assume, be easy for him to see that even though his wife of 60+ years has died, they will still be together for eternity. Their separation will only be a temporary one, until he also dies.

But having lost a child in a tragic pregnancy, I also understand the temporary loss. I might have faith that I’ll be with them again, but I also want them here NOW. That can be very difficult to deal with.

And for me, the reunion isn’t as much of a guarantee. I mean, I’m pretty sure that Pres Hinkley’s in a place in his life where he’s pretty confident in his standing with the Lord. He’s Prophet, I mean. Tough to go wrong there.

I, on the other hand, manage to screw up my life on an constant, almost daily basis. So, when I lose someone, I’m not so convinced that I’m living up to the chance to be with them again.

But for now, I can “mourn with those that mourn”.


MRKH
Mark Hansen
markhansenmusic.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails