Thursday, April 21, 2005

A Funny Thing Happened...

It's been a crazy few days, but I had to tell you this funny story. It's one of those, "If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'" kinda stories.

I was in a grocery store, buying some things for Jacob before he went in to the hospital for his tonsillectomy a couple of days ago (he's now recovering just fine, thanks). Since I knew that I'd be spending the night at the hospital, I thought I'd pick up a magazine. So, I looked over the music rags, and there was this special edition reprint of articles by and about Ozzy and his various guitarists. It had this picture of Oz and Randy on the cover. It had some really cool tabulature transcriptions, of tunes that I've been wanting to learn, as well as the articles. So, I picked it up.

I went to the checkout line to pay for all this stuff, and the cashier was this quaint little old lady. Short, with grey hair all pulled back in a bun. She was this quintessential grandmother-type. Even down to the glasses.

Well, I started plopping my stuff down on the little conveyor belt. The first thing she picked up was, you guessed it, this magazine. Well, she looks at it, flips it open and says, "Randy Rhoads was sure great wasn't he?"

Knock me over with a feather.

So we start talking about all these rock guitar gods, and she's holding her own in the conversation. "I got one of these (referring to the magazines) a while back with Stevie Ray Vaughan on the cover!"

The poor teenager doing the baggin was trying to get a word in, to look cool, but it wasn't happenin' for him. He just wasn't as rock-literate as this old granny. He didn't know his shredders. Sad...

I left with a grin on my face and a scripture in my head. Something about, "Judge not, lest ye be judged..."

Shameless plug: Remember a few posts ago where I reviewed LDS rapper TJ Fredette's music? He's the featured artist now at Latter Day Songs! Check it out!

MRKH
Mark Hansen
http://markhansenmusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails