Saturday, October 06, 2007

The One-Two Punch

This afternoon, I was cleaning my house while listening to conference. We often do things like that, while listening to the speakers. But when Elder Holland came on and started his speech, I was transfixed.

It’s been a while since I’ve heard anyone take a stand like that and declare those kinds of truths with that kind of conviction. This was not simply a man bearing his testimony, though it was that as well. This was a man, with authority from a prophet of God, spelling out in clear terms that the world can hear, that we believe in a Godhead, rather than in the “traditional trinity”, and that the scriptures bear that out as truth. I can’t remember how many times in his talk I almost busted out crying.

Then the next speaker (I don’t remember his name) clarified the need for an open canon, and ongoing revelation. While not as forceful in tone, he also spoke with authority, and clarified that we do believe in the Bible, and that the additional scriptures we accept as truth support and clarify the Bible.

In recent years, there has been a certain amount of effort to join the world religious community. We’ve spent considerable effort trying to show that we’re pretty normal people who like to blend in with society. That’s all well and good, but, wow, if felt great to hear someone really shake it up and lay it down!

I imagine it’ll ruffle a few feathers in Traditional Christendom. I’ve already seen it ruffle a few feathers in the bloggernacle. It sure encouraged me to take my own stand!

MRKH
Mark Hansen
http://markhansenmusic.com

2 comments:

  1. Elder Nelson followed Elder Holland - and yes, that direct and unapologetic stance was stirring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I get a witness? AMEN BROTHER! As a person who grew up in many faiths, searching for the truth, as a person with many non-LDS friends, AMEN! I just wish I could have had them there with me, to feel that testimony, that total authority.

    WOW.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails