Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Yet More on Death

Last wednesday, while I was at work, my lovely wife IM'ed me to tell me that my uncle Jim had died. He'd had a big stroke and passed a few hours later.

I wasn't really "close" to him, but all of my memories of him are fond.

When Ieft on my mission (I won't tell how long ago that was), it was he and his family that picked me up at the airport and put me up for a few days before delivering me to the MTC.

After the mission, I moved from Indiana to Utah. As my old VW Rabbit limped into Salt Lake City on I-80, he was the one that looked it over and discovered that it was the clogged fuel filter that was causing the problem. It was fixed in no time.

He and his sister, my mom, have always been very close. It soon became tradition for my mom and dad to fly out from Indiana every Thanksgiving. Then we would all gather for the feast. As my sister and I each got married, our spouses were welcomed into the family without question at the annual dinner.

Years later, my wife took a photography class at the Community College, Jim (a former professional photographer and camera repairman), gave her a nice Minolta SLR. We still use it when we shoot together.

Jim was a vey prolific and creative poet. He's one of the few pure poets I know who writes in rhyme and meter. I mean, I do, too, but I'm a songwriter, intending to set my words to music. He'd really mastered the ability to meter and rhyme just for its own sake.

And above all, he was just a great person, as is his wife. And together, they raised their kids the same way.

The funeral's today. While it will be nice to see everyone, Jim will be sorely missed

Mark Hansen Music


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails