Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Love Your Enemies?

I've had a little bit of time to think about the reactions to proposition 8, now.

It was very interesting to me to watch people around me, at work, on twitter and blogs, at church, making comments and pressing forward with their beliefs. I didn't begrudge anyone their opinions. I have my own as well. But as the debate got more and more heated, more and more people took sides. And as the sides were chosen, the battle lines were drawn. I knew that there were strong feelings. I guess I had just expected that once it was all settled in the vote, that it would be accepted and we would all move on.

I know that those that are pushing for gay marriage wouldn't quit, but it seemed to me that they would more likely look ahead to the next challenge instead of getting vindictive.

And when we talk about loving our enemies, and doing good for those that despise us, what does that mean? I hope nobody expects us to back off our stance or our beliefs. We're being labelled a church of hate. I don't see i that way, of course. So, in order to be a church of love, do we have to change our fundamental beliefs and accept the ways of our accusers? Do we have to agree with you in order to win your seal of approval?

Up until the end, I saw this whole experience as a wonderful example of democracy in action. It's like in the book of mormon. In Helaman, chapter 1, the story of Pahoran, Pacumeni, and Panchi gives an excellent example of how elections work. And two dynamic examples of just how different reactions to election results can be.

Anyway, it's late, and I'm rambling...


MRKH
Mark Hansen
http://markhansenmusic.com

1 comment:

  1. That was a good, thought-provoking post. I find it interesting that often those who are screaming for tolerance and acceptance are not willing to give it to others. It is certainly a difficult balance to love but not condone… to stand up for what you believe in, in a loving way.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails